Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Time Shifters

The Guy and I live in different time zones.

In the same house.

Our shifts are as different as night and day.  Literally.  Before we got married, I was normally up until 2am and slept til noon.  He was up at 3am and worked til one.  Our schedules are still opposite -- I work three weeks of evening or night shifts and he works all early mornings -- but we've worked out a schedule.  When we're working, it works for us.

We just don't see each other.  We don't get to share things that most couples consider normal.  Like bed time.

The first week we were married, I tried to go to bed at the same time as The Guy.  We had been encouraged by numerous couples to do so -- the mentioned how important it was for them.  They explained how much it would mean to us too.  And they were right -- bed time ritual is some of the best bonding time.  We talked about our day all snuggled together.  We played with the dog and made plans for the next day.  I loved it.

However, there was a few major problems with this plan.  I couldn't go to sleep right away. I tossed and turned, or I read.  I kept The Guy awake.  The Guy who gets little enough sleep as it is.  So, I let him go to bed when he was tired, and I started to go in later.  It is working for us.  I get some night alone time (which I love) and he gets some sleep (which he loves).  It works for us.

Our difference is only really noticeable when we're both on holidays.  This week, on our romantic getaway, The Guy was snoozing by 6:30pm while I watched reruns of NCIS.

It was a special time.

4 comments:

  1. I say if it works for you two, why mess with it?

    I have to say, though, the falling asleep at 6:30 during the romantic getaway made me laugh a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live like this too. Hubby has a 8-5 job. I work 6pm to 6am two nights a week. Which means I am not getting up at 8 on my days off either. I love my nights staying up late watching reruns while he snoozes. :) I totally get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are seriously my role model married couple. I really admire how you go at things in a mature way and both make compromises for each other. I'm impressed! When I grow up and get married I'm going to be asking you a lot of questions. Or maybe you should just write a book and I can read it and then I won't be bothering you every day. Go ahead, you have plenty of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mother and I went to see The Way We Were with Barbara Streisand and Robert Redford when we were on our honeymoon. I fell asleep.

    ReplyDelete

Crap monkies say "what?"