Thursday, September 02, 2010

Does the brochure repell bears?

While camping in the boonies, we were warned against bears.  At the entrance to the park, we were inundated with pamphlets warning us about how to prevent bears entering our camp site, how to properly store food, etc.

We decided to go for a little walk once the torrential rain stopped for a short time.  Trapped in the camper had made it so we were desperate for something that didn't have a roof.  Wandering along, we found a "nature path" and decided to brave it. 

Look! Nature!
Then we saw the sign at the foot of the path. 


It says "Remember, you are in bear country!  Do you know what to do if you encounter a black bear on the trail? If not, grab a brochure in one of the park offices.

Are you kidding me?  You couldn't have put something better than "grab a brochure"??  I am about to step into the wild and put my life on the line and all you can suggest is that I should go grab a brochure.  I'm sure that it would have been too hard to write "Make noise.  If it approaches, stay still." or something along those lines.  Instead, it's told me to grab a brochure.

Unless the brochure is heavy enough I can beat the crap out of the bear, I don't think it's going to be particularly helpful.

2 comments:

  1. Wear little bells to warn the bears you are coming. Carry pepper spray in case you are attacked.
    Learn to tell the difference between Black bear sign and Grizzly bear sign. Black bear sign is contains seeds from berries and small bones, fur etc. Grizzly bear sign contains small bells and smells like pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha! Sorry, I was about to comment on your funny post but your dad's comment was so funny that I couldn't remember what I was going to say.

    ReplyDelete

Crap monkies say "what?"