But, this segment from Crosswalk.com made me think about my life and what I am thankful for when and why. It also made me realize I haven't been very thankful lately. And considering today is Thanksgiving, this is a good day to do it.
Giving Thanks and Praise AlwaysI need to remember to be thankful. For the things I forget to even look at. I had started Grace in Small Things and was finding it really great to remember the little things that were good. Like everything else I start, I got distracted by something shiny and never looked at it again. I am thankful. I just take for granted that everyone (God included) knows that I am thankful and hope that's enough. It's not.
If we get in an automobile accident and come out alive, we typically thank God for sparing our lives. But do you ever just thank God for saving your life as you drive home from work and don't have an accident? Isn't that even better?
I heard a story that poignantly illustrates this. At church one day a family heard about a significant love offering given by a father in memory of his son who had died on the battlefield. On the way home, the wife asked her husband, "Why don't we give a love offering for our son?" He said, "Why? Our son wasn't killed." She said, "Don't you think that's a good reason?"
So, here is a list of things I am thankful for.
- I am thankful for The Guy. He came into my life at a time when I needed to grow up so others could grow up. He is a wonderful man who compliments my life and makes me a better person.
- I am thankful for my family. All of them. Even the crazy ones.
- I am thankful for a job I love with people I love. I am thankful for the friends this job has provided me with and that they have my back. Even when I don't deserve it.
- I am thankful for my friends. The ones I can call for emergency dessert eating and bitching.
- I am thankful for my dog, Monty, who is cuddly and makes me happy.