Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Happy Happy Joy Joy

I was listening to John Tesh and he asked a question that got me to pondering. Anyone who knows me, knows I have a love of all things John Tesh. Okay, not his music, but his radio show. Intelligence for Your Life. It just sounds smart. Really, I know it's not just John who knows all these things, but he has the greatest research team ever. Still, I learn and grow while listening to him, so you can keep your mocking of his hair to yourself.

John (we're tight, I can call him John) asked the question: How happy are you? Someone, somewhere had done a study of the happiest nations in the world. So, before I knew what the study found*, I decided to rank my happiness on a scale of 1-10. 1 being "It sucks. Everything is wrong and I'm jumping off this bridge." and 10 being "It's awesome. Nothing could go wrong. I am jumping on this couch to declare my awesomeness!!!"

I decided that overall, I am an 8.

Then I thought about it. Holy crap! An 8? That's way too high. I can't be that happy. Maybe I'm on too many meds? Nope. Not that. I'm just pretty much overall happy. Or at least at that moment I was. Work is good, life is good, dogs are good, sisters are good, family is good, friends are good, The Guy is good, I like stuff.

See? It's all good. Now, if you break things down, okay, then I get a little less good, but on a whole I'm pretty happy. It's weird.

Here's the breakdown:
  • The Guy: 9
  • dogs: 9
  • house: 7
  • finances: 6
  • car: 9 (except it's really dirty which makes it feel like a 7)
  • family and friends: 9
  • stuff and things: 8
  • work: 7.5
  • me: 7.5 (a good, solid seven and a half**)
I won't think I will always be here, but for right now, I'm pretty content. And that is cool. So, how happy are you?


*The study said Canadians came in 7th. United States came in 17th.
**Anyone?

7 comments:

  1. I think an 8 is pretty darn awesome! I'm curious to know more about the difference between 7th and 17th. I think most Americans get so caught up in consuming as much as they possibly can as fast as they can they never stop to enjoy what they have and the greatness of it. Like a quote I really like:

    The enjoyment of what we have is lost by always wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, Jill and I totally referenced that the other day. We needed a point of reference for how douchey someone was. Josh Groban? Solid 7.5. Ty Pennington? 9.

    Oh, and Mark told me that the Danish people are the happiest in the world because they have the lowest expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! No one beat me to it!! The reference was to Beautiful Girls! Well, I guess Lyn beat me to it, but just didn't say what the movie was. Sigh. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanessa, I'm sure you are totally right. That's the reason. And Canadians are happier just to not be American! *zing*

    Lyn: Nice scale. Totally solid.

    Ky: Dead on. Man, why do I not own that movie on DVD???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to comment, but then I just saw a shiny trinket on amazon.com. I'm out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 8? Terrific!

    The only question that John Tesh could ask that would make me ponder is "How could anyone possibly listen to me?"

    Kidding... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roger: I'm often distracted by shiny things. You're forgiven.

    Joe: I often wonder why people listen to you as well. I thought it was just me?

    ReplyDelete

Crap monkies say "what?"