Tuesday, April 01, 2008

For what it's worth

I have been thinking of selling the furniture sets that belonged to my parents. They bought Roxton Maple furniture in 1974. It was the height of fashion and of things that will last an eternity. I have a very little house and two houses worth of furniture smooshed into it. I love the furniture, but only because it reminds me of my Mom and my childhood. Aesthetically? Not as much.

I've been trying to price things out and find out what the bedroom and dining room sets are worth. I've looked online and on EBay and anywhere I can think of, but have not found anything that is really what I have in my home. (Although, I did find many people looking for the rocking chair but there is NO WAY in God's little green earth I am parting with that. Even if Ky's dog ate the legs off it.) A friend suggested calling the local Antiques shop as the woman who runs the place knows everything about everything there.

Today, I got a chance to call. A man answered the phone. He had a slight accent as though his family came over on the Mayflower and still had indentured servants. I provided him my name and said I hoped he could help me, if not with prices and such but with information. I mentioned the furniture and he drew in a breath. Then, I told him what year it was purchased in. The breath went out.

When he heard the year they were purchased, with ice dripping from his voice, he said "Those would be more appropriate for the second hand shops." And hung up.

I have to say I felt a bit chastised. As though I had offered him a piece of my own poop. In a bag.

4 comments:

  1. I think you should give him just that, your poop - in a bag.

    Seriously, I hate it when antique stores act like that, you know "one mans trash..." and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you take the time to put the poop in a bag, you might as well take a little extra time and light it on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy Lou: I thought so too. Some people love this stuff. Too bad it's not fancy enough for that guy.

    Amanda: Now when you are in town next, I have an outing planned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beds? Are beds anywhere in the stuff you're selling?

    ReplyDelete

Crap monkies say "what?"