Once my brother asked me to make a CD. I totally misunderstood what he was looking for and so went on my own idea of it. So, here is a list of songs that inspire me and why:
- Another Day in Paradise - by Phil Collins This song reminds me what some people in the world have to deal with and that other people have the choice to walk away or to lend a hand. It makes me really think about the type of resilliance that some people have and the selfishness that can so easily take over if we let it.
- The Change - by Garth Brooks I think of this song in the work that I do. Its about who I want to be and how I want to affect people. (I always wanted this song played at my funeral - but only if that is how I lived my life) I want to always try and never give up on anyone.
- Daughters - by John Mayer This one is different. It inspires me to choose a husband who will be a good father to my daughters. It clarified the impact that fathers truly do have on their children and let me stop blaming myself for things (without blaming him).
- Bring on the Rain - JoDee Messina This song inspires me b/c it was really important to Mom when she was sick. I take it to mean that you just have to keep going with what you are handed - and deal with it with grace, strength and practicality.
- One More Day - Diamond Rio I think this song makes me want to appreciate the people I love and to not let time with them waste. B/c in the end, if I do waste it I will regret it. Actually, even if I don't waste it - I'll still always want one more.
- Smile - Lyle Lovett When I was working at a hotel as a front desk clerk, my boss told me to smile even if I feel like crap b/c people will hear the smile in my voice. She said that sometimes pretending to be happy (or in the very least - pleasant) will sometimes convince yourself of it too. Or, at least, it won't make everyone else depressed.
- That's All - Michael Buble This is how I want to love and be loved.
- Everything - Allanis Morrissette This is more of who I am than what I wish I was. I am a nightmare and a wonderful person all in one. Although, most would say more often I'm the nightmare! But, I guess I want to accept myself and take responsibility for myself, but also to have someone who lives me despite myself.
- Be Still My Soul - Bob Graves I reguarily need a reminder to slow down and to wait for God to work. I find this difficult as I am a doer and I want to do things NOW. But, I listen to this song and it reminds me that God is in control if I would just shut up and listen.