Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Not so much with the "up on politics" thing

This week, Saskatchewan lost two prominent political figures.  One, Allan Blakeney, a premier known for his work in Crown corporations, health care, etc.  The other, Serge LeClerc, a politician who started out in a rough life and spent his last years helping youth in Saskatchewan. Every one in the province was devastated.

I wasn't one of them.  I mean, I felt bad that someone was dead.  I just had no idea who they were.

I've heard the names over and over again in my youth.  I recognized that I knew the names, but had no idea why.  When I got to work this week, one of my coworkers started talking about how sad it was that Serge LeClerc had died of cancer.

I perked up because I'd just heard his name on the radio and I love to be informed on things that I normally don't care about.  I mentioned I had heard about his death on the news.  And then I inserted my foot in my mouth.

Didn't he used to play hockey or something?

There was stunned silence before the laughter rang out.  No, Bron.  He's a politician.  He did a ton for Saskatchewan youth.

Oh... yeah...  I knew that.

1 comment:

  1. You're being featured on Five Star Friday - http://www.schmutzie.com/fivestarfriday/2011/4/22/five-star-fridays-146th-edition-is-brought-to-you-by-carol-b.html

    ReplyDelete

Crap monkies say "what?"