Thursday, March 31, 2011

Complacent -- smug and proud of it

This word was provided by Miss Gina and is my last word for the month!

When I think of complacent, I think of someone who is apathetic to the situation around them and thus does nothing to fix it.  Imagine my surprise when I looked it up and discovered it  means confident and lends itself to being smug.

Why do I feel like this word is a big "hint hint", Gina?  (Just kidding.  I know you don't think I'm smug.  Well, I think you don't.  You don't, right??)

I like to be smug.  When I get to be smug, it means I have something on someone else and it likely means I'm funnier and even smarter than that person.  I LOVE THAT.  My lip twitches just a bit on the right hand side.  I think I can hide it, but I can't.  Even my smug isn't subtle.

The world has a sense of humour though and won't let me get away with that for very long.  Every time I get a little smug, I get knocked back onto my butt with a healthy dose of Hey You're Not So Great.

The world can bite me.

Today was another example of that regularly scheduled dosage.  I've been feeling pretty good about things.  I'm the good granddaughter.  I make my siblings look like ungrateful wretches.  I can balance home life and dog life and husband life and family life and I can do it with style!  I also get nominated for being funny!  I can be funny and still be sane!

And then fate says Oh yeah?

After a late end to my shift, I came home with intentions of: spending time with my husband, playing with my dog, making lunch, blogging, and hopefully squeezing in some Tetris before bed.  I merrily went on my way making my lunch. cleaning up as I went along, chatting with The Guy and throwing the rope for the dog.  I grabbed the veggie container off the counter and -- as I opened the fridge -- I saw it all go wrong in slow motion.

The lid popped off the container; the door slipped out of my hand.  The container drooped under the weight of the veggies and every single piece of vegetable hit the floor.

As I was on my hands and knees trying to gather up errant carrots, I glanced up at The Guy grinning at me from across the room.

I think they will need to be washed.

1 comment:

  1. Not a hint at all! I remember hearing the word complacency in a song when I was in high school and I've always thought it was such a pretty word, despite it's meaning. It's like the word thinks it's better than it actually is.

    Hmm, complacent is complacent.

    ReplyDelete

Crap monkies say "what?"