Sunday, March 06, 2011

Auntie Jean

My great aunt, Auntie Jean, died on Friday at the age of 94.


Auntie Jean was always a figure in the background of my life.  She and Grandma were quite close, my mom and her daughter were best friends, and we spent a lot of time with their family.  My middle name is after Auntie Jean (but spelled differently) and she was very important to my mom.

The main memory I have of Auntie Jean is the time we went to see them in Saskatoon and went shopping at the mall across the street.  I was around 13 or 14 years at the time.  I was embarrassed by every adult who happened to be related to me, but Auntie Jean trumped them all that day.

Mom got the siblings ready to head to the mall when Auntie Jean announced she was coming too.  She was in the middle of perming her hair, but had a 30 minute window before she could take out the curlers and wash out the perm rinse.  So why not tag along?

She threw on a plastic shower cap over her head full of curlers and got ready to go.

I DIED OF EMBARRASSMENT.  DIED.

We went shopping regardless, with me pretending I didn't know either my mother or my aunt.  I found a really cute outfit that day which became my favourite for the summer.  A navy skirt and a rayon, multi-coloured shirt.  A friend that summer got a picture of me.

Oh the 90s. 
Looking back at this outfit and my hair, I wonder if Mom and Auntie Jean weren't more embarrassed of me than I was of them.

They had every right to be.

3 comments:

  1. That is a great picture of the sisters. A good way to remember your aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your aunt. Excellent picture though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that day EXACTLY. I was only 8, but I was totally embarrassed, too.

    ReplyDelete

Crap monkies say "what?"