Monday, April 13, 2009

Worst children's book ever

While desperately trying to entertain my friend's 6 month old during service, I grabbed a soft paged book about Jesus from the church toy room. It worked to distract her -- she could chew on it without eating it, turn it without ripping it, and drool on it without wrecking it. Perfect.

When she was settled, I took a better look at it. It was a cloth book with tactile fabrics on each page. One had corduroy flaps to hide the Three Wise men, one had fuzzy material where the lambs were, one had a silky cloud covering a dove. She was enthralled with each page, grabbing greedily at the loose pieces to find out what was beneath.

It was then I stumbled on this picture.


Innocent enough, right? That's what I thought. The question reads "Who does Jesus love?" Then I realize, I have to lift the flaps of Jesus robe to find out. This does not bode well.


Opening the "doors" to the page, I saw the answer. Being that I knew the verse, I was prepared.


Yes, Jesus loves the little children. This I know. However, one perhaps should have thought about the message it sends to have it seem like Jesus hides little children under his robes. Just a thought.

And then, I flipped to the back of the book. There was a nice little prayer featuring Jesus and the children. How sweet.

Um, but why are the non-Caucasian kids the only ones doing manual labour? What century was this illustrated in?

I'd like to have a talk with the publisher please.

1 comment:

  1. It should have been white males? And your comment would have been...?

    ReplyDelete

Crap monkies say "what?"