Sunday, October 12, 2008

If I didn't have dogs

I was talking today with Ky about how the dogs have kept me from being too lonely now she and Lyn have moved to other provinces. Then tonight, a friend sent me the following email. I adjusted it to suit me and replaced the pictures with pics of my pups.

If I didn't have dogs:



I could walk around the yard barefoot in safety.
My house could be carpeted instead of tiled and laminated.
All flat surfaces, clothing, furniture, and cars would be free of hair.


When the doorbell rings, it wouldn't sound like a kennel.
When the doorbell rings, I could get to the door without wading through fuzzy bodies who beat me there and are dying to meet our guests.


I could sit on the couch and my bed the way I wanted, without taking into consideration how much space several fur bodies would need to get comfortable.


I would not be on a first-name basis with a veterinarian nor most of her staff, as I put their yet unborn grand kids through college.
I would not look strangely at people who think having ONE dog/cat ties them down too much.
I would have money ...and no guilt to go on a real vacation.


The most used words in my vocabulary would not be: out, sit, down, come, no, stay, and leave him/her/it ALONE.
My house would not be cordoned off into zones with baby gates or barriers.
My house would not look like a day care center, toys everywhere.


I would not have as many leaves INSIDE my house as outside.
I'd look forward to spring and the rainy season instead of dreading 'mud' season.


But most of all:

I would be a lot lonelier and feel a lot less loved. There is nothing like having three furry creatures meeting you at the door clawing for your attention and love.

5 comments:

  1. Amen, daughter, amen. She sent the email to me too and I loved it. The words were right on. Nice touch doing it with your own pictures. Love to you, Maddy, Vicki and Montel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. We've got three cats, and as much as they break things, shed, scratch, poop, and beg, I can't imagine not having 3 little bodies run to the door whenever I come home, even if I was just out for a minute to toss the garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so relate. Not all of these apply to having 3 cats, but for the most part....yes. I'm with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish Monty were here so that I could cuddle up on his back and fall asleep. Hopefully he would have forgotten the existence of Ky by then, and wouldn't bite my face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sleep just like that, but it's cats instead of dogs. I sleep in contorted positions so I won't disturb some filthy ass cats. The dog would be up there too, but the cats smack her silly if she so much as looks at them. I don't think they'd take kindly to her getting in bed with them.

    ReplyDelete

Crap monkies say "what?"