Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Counting

I am listening to the sound of several fans going throughout the house. I have turned off all other noise in an effort to just be. I find the fans soothing -- a kind of white noise for the troubled soul. I let the air move over me, across my skin, causing a shiver and a slight movement to my clothes.

I just breath in and allow myself to relax. And breath out. I encourage this technique with those I counsel: turn off everything, listen to your breathing, count in to four and out to four. Slow your heart to match that pace. S-l-o-w.

If I stop counting for even a moment, everything speeds up again. My mind races, making lists of things to do, things I want to do, things I must do, things I have not done, things I have to do without, things I will have to do to change the way things are now. Lots of things. Swirling and catching me up in their quick turns and fancy footwork. I get dizzy and lost and panicky and...

Wait. One. Two. Three. Four. Out. One. Two. Three. Four. Okay, I remember now. That breathing thing it comes in handy.

5 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. Hopefully you can either catch up or let it go so you can rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Mr. Miyagi, so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pah! Holy crap roger, you're awesome.

    And Bron--don't worry. By the end of the summer, it will all be over. We'll be moved and your house will be clean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seven: Thanks!

    Roger: Nicely done.

    Ky: It wasn't you guys stressing me this time. Really!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I slowed my heart to 45 rpm and scared my wife and two doctors.

    ReplyDelete

Crap monkies say "what?"