Thursday, February 21, 2008

I'd like to go back in time and slap myself

This weekend, with my house full of siblings, we did some reminiscing. I'm not sure what brought it up, but somehow I found myself rooting through my highschool year books so we could find a picture of someone we knew once. It ended up with me looking through my past life and realizing how incredibly lame I was. Sometimes, I look back at the teenager I tried to be and I want to shake her. Or pretend I don't know her.

Some time ago, in my infinite teenage wisdom, I decided to go through my yearbook and write notes beside people's pictures. These comments ranged from witty little sayings or inside jokes to detailed remarks of what I truely thought of so-and-so. It was mortifying. To say the least. So, of course, I read them out loud for all to hear. The Guy was highly amused.

I wrote a lot of things like "best buddy", "geek", "banger" and "jerk". Social commentaries such as "I can't believe she dumped him for him". I circled people. In group photos, I circled the ones I thought were cutest. And I crossed out people I didn't like. The most mortifying though was : "Oh baby, He gets hotter every year" and "blue eyes... sexy".

I was painfully lame in the way that only teenage girls can be. Oh, how I hate those girls. God help me that I was one.

1 comment:

  1. Yearbook reminiscing is best in small doses. I cringe to recall my own youth. My high school reunion is this summer, and I plan to avoid it like the plague.

    I laughed out loud at the "Oh baby, He gets hotter every year" line. That's classic teen-girl gold right there.

    ReplyDelete

Crap monkies say "what?"