Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Dumb dog

Since Davy's escape yesterday I have been watching them more closely. Today, I heard him barking like mad at something so I went out to investigate. I opened the door in time to see him make a leap over the white picket fence.

Now, there are some things you should know about Davy. First, he's about 14 or so. Second, he has hip and back problems that make it so he can hardly walk. He has trouble with stairs and heights and Grandma lowered her bed to the floor so he can sleep with her. This is not a dog who can easily clear a fence. I'm assuming he was just that determined to kill whatever was on the other side. I am assuming it was a mail delivery person or someone of Asian decent. They are two sets of people that Davy just cannot abide. I didn't see anyone when I went to get him, but I couldn't think of anything else.

I found him in the back alley on his side, screaming in pain. It was like watching a little elderly man jump up from his wheel chair to run across the room and midway realize he's paralyzed. It was the saddest thing I have ever seen. I picked him up gently - although the way he was screaming it sounded more like I had grabbed him by the spine and tossed him over my shoulder. I proceeded to give him drugs and lay him on his bed at the foot of my bed.

A little while later I went to check on him. He was gone. When I wasn't looking, he pushed the gate out of the way and headed down the steps to the basement. I am assuming he was looking for Ky or just wanted a quiet place to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crap monkies say "what?"