Monday, June 19, 2006

Best Canadian Music

I am decidedly biased. I love Canadian music. I don't mean to focus on it, but I just like a song or artist and then usually discover it/they are Canadian. Here are some of my favourites. Add at whim.

Wheat Kings by Tragically Hip
Unloved by Jann Arden
Another Sunday by I Mother Earth
What a Good Boy by Barenaked Ladies
Fumbling Toward Ecstasy by Sarah McLachlan
Bad Timing by Blue Rodeo
Time by Chantel Kreviazuk

Okay, that's all for now. There are zillions more. I mean, I didn't even go prior to 1990! I mean, we're talking Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Young, The Guess Who... sheesh.

6 comments:

  1. Will all Canadians hate me if I say I hate BNL? Band you don't like + college * massively overplayed = roger hate.

    "Have you heard this million dollar song? It's about having a million dollars. It's SOOO funny." I heard that about 500 times at college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger, it's okay if you don't like BNL. I find that most people love them or hate them. If I were on a desert island and could only take one album, it would be Gordon. But that's just me.
    I still think that If I Had $1000000 is good for nostalgic reasons, but apparently only if you were 10 when the album came out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is sad that If I Had a Million Dollars is the one that got so overplayed. Seriously, the rest of the album is genius. Everything AFTER Gordon? Sucks monkey bum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silly me likes Maybe You Should Drive better than Gordon. Oh and no list of great Canadian music should exist that doesn't have some Rush or The Band on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Jason (and welcome!) now you know.

    And you're right, I do love Rush. They would be on there. However, this was only a starter list, so I am sure they will make it. (Don't tell Lyn though, I'm pretty sure she hates Rush)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree about the Band; how can you not love Robbie Robertson? We also have to consider: Stan Rogers, BTO/Bravebelt, Big Sugar, Joni Mitchell, Trooper, Sarah Harmer, Wide Mouth Mason...Arrogant Worms. And so many others. As Maryanne is fond of pointing out, my musical taste does lean towards Canadian tunes.

    ReplyDelete

Crap monkies say "what?"