Sunday, May 08, 2011

Mother's Day for the motherless

Today is Mother's Day.  It's a day unlike any other, but for the constant reminder of the fact we should appreciate our mothers much more than we do.  So, for one day a year, we buy cards and flowers and make a lot of corporations a lot of money.  Go Moms!

It has been interesting being a person without a mother on Mother's Day.  The yearly joke is to give our friends and family a hard time: Hey, thanks for the reminder I don't have a Mom!!  Because really, this day is no more difficult than a random Tuesday in October, it's just more obvious.

Mothers come in all shapes and sizes.  They come in good, bad and ugly.  They do their best with what they have and some are pretty dang awesome.

I had a good mom.  She was strong and stubborn and determined.  She was hard-working and funny and creative.  She taught me a lot about who I want to be when I grow up.

Mom, Grandma and I having tea

To quote Jann Arden, I have a good mother and her voice is what keeps me here.

1 comment:

Crap monkies say "what?"