Friday, June 22, 2007

Moth ball*

* this title is in homage to the great JAG mother who told the longest and lamest joke ever and ended it with "and have you ever seen a moth ball" in reference to a prom for moths. Or was it "moth bawl"? I can't remember. Oh well, it was funny at the time.

Tonight, I stared at a moth. It was on the other side of the glass in the screen door as it rested comfortably having found the light from my porch. I stared at it and I was amazed. I have never really looked at a moth before. They seem to be bothersome and stupid creatures. They fly towards light that usually means confusion and death. They fly at your face when you are minding your own business. They seem to serve no purpose. And yet, they are strangely beautiful.

The body of a moth is very interesting. It has a main torso which is covered in a soft fuzz. It looks very much like a lady of leisure in her mink stole out for the evening. The colour is a lovely brown and suits the moth quite well. The remainder of the body is a narrow piece that looks like the base and tail of a gentle sparrow.

The moth sat against the window and preened herself. She used her two small arms (closest to her chest and head) to clean her antennae and face. Her eyes were large and rather expressive - she looked like she had seen a lot in her life span. And she sat, slowly moving her legs over her body - like smoothing her dress down before answering the door. She was lovely.

Then the dog barked and she flew away. But I liked her.

8 comments:

  1. I hope you're not getting all Silence of the Lambs on us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. Just taking really good drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. my mom's jokes are so bad.







    so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Were there moth balls??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, once a year all the moths gather together. The girl moths wear pastel chiffon and too much makeup. The boy moths wear brown suits with ruffled collars. Then they dance.

    Or at least, that's what I've heard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's not what I meant....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooooooooooooh. No. No, moth balls. This was definitely a girl moth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moths are gross and evil and did I mention gross. Oh and terrifying. I think they're trying to kill me. And make me look like a freak as they are one of the VERY few things that makes me scream like a small girl.

    ReplyDelete

Crap monkies say "what?"