Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Perfect sucker.

I am a chump. A patsy. A fool. A gullible one. It's true. Although, I have to admit, a lot has to do with the fact that people keep calling to sell me things when I'm sleeping after working nights. They might plan it. I am usually so dopey when I wake up like that I will agree to anything just so I can go back to sleep. It's how I joined many book and music clubs over the years.

Today, I got a call telling me I had won a trip. Now, this has happened before, so I thought it could be real. But eventually, I realized this was not quite as good as the previous winnings. I had won 80% off of a trip in exchange for a 90 minute seminar about buying condos in Florida. But, they wanted my credit card. Um... warning signs? So, I hemmed and hawed and finally called my brother. He said it's likely a scam so I turned it down.

The stupid thing is, I feel really bad for the poor people who were trying to sell it to me. They worked really hard for it. Which is why I am such a good patsy. (I almost wrote pasty and that is something altogether different.) I feel bad for the con men. And women.

Thank God, I don't have more money than I do or there would be no stopping me.

5 comments:

  1. I had the exact same people call me. She (who introduced herself as Marie) seemed to be very understanding when I told her that it was still too expensive for me to do it, even after the 80% discount. But boy was she an enthusiastic seller! It was only after she asked for my credit card # that I told her I was broke. I really hope people aren't stupid enough to fall for that. It must be a scam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They mentioned this exact thing on the news tonight. Apparently it's a scam that's hit Regina bit time. It's a good thing you didn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I feel much better now. Thank God I didn't actually do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally got a call this morning! Did they make you hit "9" to claim the prize? I'm apparently naturally suspicious, because I was being really hesistant to tell them anything and I was super-hostile, quizzing the woman on how she got my phone number and stuff. She put me on hold to find out something and I hung up. Glad that I didn't waste any more time than that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently Grandpa H used to say that if you had to decide something that exact moment, you should say no. I think he meant about whether or not you should have pie, but it applies to this too.

    ReplyDelete

Crap monkies say "what?"